As of October 10, 2015, the RESTROOMS ARE DONE! We are going ahead with the kitchen renovation now.
The Case for a New Kitchen
The Sonoma Springs Community Hall is a 145 year old agricultural organization, originally established by farmers to give themselves political clout. It has evolved, and changed, and in the 21st century, in Sonoma Valley, it is a community service organization, still concern with farming and food, but broadening its reach into a variety of local concerns. A new, certified kitchen will allow us to improve our usefulness as a community resource.
The Sonoma Springs Community Hall is located in the heart of a densely populated, unincorporated area of moderate to low income families, which itself is located in a highly productive agricultural area.
A new, commercial grade kitchen would achieve many things:
- Provide a place for local small food business and farmers to prepare food for sale. A new kitchen would act to strengthen the community and support agriculture. Food entrepreneurs are important to economic development and sustainability of rural communities: jobs, taxes, and utilization of agricultural products = value added.
- Allow renters to more effectively use the hall for events. (The hall is already a popular venue.) This is a community service as well as an income source for the Hall. The Sonoma Springs Community Hall needs to be a going concern in
order to maintain its programs.
- Facilitate cooking and serving food at events such as the flea market, the pancake breakfast, and Spring Fling. These are fund-raisers for the Hall as well as important community events.
- Allow the Hall to function as a relief center in case of disaster. (We need to coordinate with local disaster preparedness groups and the Fire Dept.) Experts are now telling us that the Valley will be cut off
from the world for as much as two weeks in the event of a major earthquake.
The Sonoma Springs Community Hall has gained a lot of energy in the last couple of years. We have many new members. Many more people know about us. Much has been done to improve the hall, and much more is planned. We have an expanding pool of knowledgeable caring and active volunteers who will be invaluable when it comes to planning, fund raising and operation of our new kitchen.
Project total: $250,000
- $50,000 Rest rooms
- $150,000 Kitchen
- $15,000 Roof
- $15,000 floors
- $10,000 Cook ware, tableware, dishes, furniture
- $10,000 contingencies
We are in process and will complete the renovation as the funds are available.